June 6, 2011 Print

Planned Parenthood of Indiana Asks Judge to Restore Funding

by CitizenLink Staff

Planned Parenthood of Indiana returned to federal court today, seeking an injunction to block a new law that yanked its taxpayer funding.

The law, which took effect May 10 — the day it was signed — pulled government funding from “any (Indiana) entity that performs abortions or maintains or operates a facility where abortions are performed.”

But, last week, President Obama’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) rejected part of the law, dictating that Indiana continue to give Medicaid money to Planned Parenthood.

“The attitude that they’re entitled to that money — that that money is theirs before it’s even distributed, and that by law there’s nothing anybody can do to change the way that money is distributed — is reprehensible,” said Marc Tuttle, president of Right to Life of Indianapolis.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt is expected to rule on the injunction this month. Indiana state officials have said they will continue to enforce the law.

 



Print



NOTE: Referral to websites not produced by CitizenLink is for informational purposes only and does not necessarily constitute an endorsement of the sites' content.