by Daniel Street for the Delaware Family Policy Council
June 4, 2013
CitizenLink is proud to work with Delaware Family Policy Council and other family policy organizations across the country to stand for marriage, life and religious freedom. Learn more about the one in your state.
Legislators are being told that this bill simply eliminates discrimination against transgender individuals, but the implications of this bill are outrageous.
This law makes gender about how someone “feels right now,” instead of their biological DNA.
Adding “gender identity” as a protected class would impact Delaware citizens, as well as businesses, organizations, schools, universities, and government agencies handling any matter that considers gender or hires employees. This broad scope will impact most organizations in Delaware.
Implications of the bill:
- Organizations must allow people to access gender-segregated programs, activities, and facilities in accordance with the sex they choose. For example, an all-girls school would have to allow a biological male to participate in classes or athletic programs.
- Organizations such as schools with dorms, homeless shelters or rehabilitation centers would have to allow individuals to be housed with the gender that they choose. A women’s homeless shelter, for example, must allow a biological male who professes a female identity to sleep in the women’s facilities.
- Organizations would have to allow individuals to access bathrooms, showers, and locker-room facilities in accordance with the sex they choose. Creating a separate “family” or “unisex” bathroom is proving to still not be enough to prevent a lawsuit. (see examples below)
Consider the following examples:
- A transgender “mom” complains about an innocent question from a six-year old boy and requests “gender intolerance” training in schools starting at the ages of 5 or 6.
- A college in Washington state allows transgender “man” to expose himself to young girls.
- The Maine Human Rights Commission decided that a middle school “discriminated” against a boy by creating a separate bathroom for him to use. He wanted access to the girl’s bathroom.
- Obama Justice Department threatens university with lawsuit because transgendered man can’t use the women’s bathrooms.
- Inmates all over the country are suing for sex-change operations and hormone treatments. A Massachusetts inmate in jail for murdering his wife is costing the state hundreds of thousands of dollars as he seeks a sex-change operation.
- The slippery slope: In Massachusetts, this “anti-discrimination” law passed without including public accommodations in response to concerns about safety. However, it opened the door for the Commissioner of Education to issue orders forcing schools to allow “transgender” boys into girls bathrooms.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Learn more about the Delaware Family Policy Council.